Thursday 20 August 2009

Reactions from Alex: Part 3

And, the final post!

... it should be the emloyer's responsibility to provide training for those who need it.
Klaus

I sort of agree with Klaus. Yes training should be available to all who need it. However, in my research with Cynthia White (I can send you the paper if you wish) with tutors at CELE (UK, China, and New Zealand) a more complex picture of tutors and technology emerges. It seems that the most effective way of ensuring that teachers integrate technology effectively and in the long term is through collaborative and peer professional development. When teachers have common teaching goals, work together, share ideas, techniques, technology and view their efforts as working towards a common good then we see real success. This was the case with the insessional team at CELE. However, when teachers have highly individualistic notions of their own development (for example viewing other members of staff as 'resources' to be used), have highly materialistic motivations (promotion), lack a learner-centred perspective, attribute their lack of development to forces beyond their control (time, pressure, lack of recognition etc) then nothing happens. So, employers need to create a stimulating and rewarding work environment, giving time and resources to staff, recognising innovation, and providing means for ideas to become reality. Teachers, on the other hand, have to take a great deal of initiative, work in a team, make substantial efforts themselves, recognise the value of collaborative work and, to put it bluntly, act in good faith. Many teachers hide behind a range of excuses not to develop professionally. This makes me sad. Often teachers are more comfortable with what they know and what they do and, for whatever reason. are very conservative. For some, it's just a job.

I strongly oppose demanding students to be able to perform certain tasks, using technology, without their tutor being able to do the same thing.
Klaus
I sort of agree. But I think there's no harm in having students who can contribute more than teachers to aspects of the classroom. I'm more concerned by teachers making demands on students which they are unable to do themselves ... such as being challenged, developing an argument, arguing with warrantly, performing various academic tasks (writing an essay, giving a presentation, being critical, ...).

The Internet, and all of its Russian-doll boxes, can be very addictive, dispersive, pointless, aimless.
Julia
Quite agree. But don't quite see the point. I could say the same about TV, education, life ... In rather cliched fashion I would suggest that the Internet isn't the problem as such (although some research does try to demonstrate a cause effect relationship between the internet and social psychology) it is more a problem of motivation, anxiety, alienation ... we all find many imaginative ways to waste our time. I think the problem is more a social/pyschological one than a technological one. I could be wrong though!


I don't use p/point much in the classroom, as to be brief, I'm not a fan. Admittedly, I can see its uses and how it can help Ss structure their presentations and be prepared, but I'd rather have someone 'present.' It can all seem a little removed.
Sam

Interesting point here. I agree with you Sam. However, I think this could be a little dangerous though. Wouldn't it be better for you to use PowerPoint in ways which demonstrate to students how PowerPoint can enhance a presentation rather than avoid it (I'm not sure that you do do that)? It is, in my view, more productive to provide a good model for technology use for students. There's also the need to prepare students for life in the university. They will all have to use PowerPoint whether we like it or not. Some tutors I've met (and I'm not suggesting you Sam!) seem to confuse what they'd like academia to be and teach on that basis, rather than what students will need in the real and very imperfect world.

At the moment, it feels like an added chore - too many access points to remember: the Blog, iweb, WebCT, our extensive reading lists ... I feel obliged to access.
Julia
This view is (partially) shared by a few of you. I don't quite get it :-) All posts on the blog can be sent to your e-mail account without having to log on. Bookmarks should make access to the other sites you need quite straightforward. If you're doing a distance course, then I can't see how you can avoid accessing materials. If, however, you mean a pressure to be visible, then I understand better.
From my perspective your only obligation is to submit an essay on time having discussed your essay with me. That's all. Anything over and beyond that is up to you. Having said that, I firmly believe (and there's significant evidence to back me up, I think) that learning is a social activity that is enhanced with interaction with others. That's why I want you all to contribute, participate, get involved. It makes the experience better I hope --- for everyone. I also believe that education isn't a commodity (with the image of provider/consumer) and along with rights there are obligations.

... compared to the old 'reading a book and taking notes' method: on your own, losing track of time and not having to be accountable to 'the group' or 'community'
Julia

Which leads me on to the idea of accountability. If I'm right about learning being a social activity and the benefits of learning socially ... then that does suggest a certain accountability. I am accountable for my behaviour, actions, words here. Primarily to you. I also don't believe in the heroic, romantic, atomistic Robinson Crusoe image of the learner. This was the model in distance learning ... and look at how many people give up learning this way, often saying that the lack of interaction and support led to giving up. We learn better through dialogue, not, I believe through isolation. Good, social learning is always a kind of dance between having time alone to think things through, read, take notes, reflect and talking to others, comparing, working together, arguing, supporting, gossiping.

Now I’m embarrassed if I pull out the OHP to present something to the students. There’s almost a snigger of derision from the techno whizz-kids in class.
Anne

Student expectations and fear of ridicle is an excellent motivation to change!

Alex

No comments: