Friday 21 August 2009

Comments and weekend

Thanks again to all of you for your contributions so far. I've had a few e-mails from you with various comments about what said you've said or has been said. I think perhaps we're all suffering from lack of time to participate as we would like. Please feel free to add what we've said already - even if it's a short contribution. Some interesting issues have emerged ... that are worth continuing with. Tomorrow, I'll add some posts on evaluating technology from the perspective of autonomy.
In the meantime, hope to hear from you and have a nice weekend.
Alex

1 comment:

Anne Kavanagh said...

Hi Alex,

Here I am, sadly in Hallward library, trying to respond to some of the posts. For some inexplicable reason, when I click on new post it won't allow me to type in the box.

So, I'm adding my comment here. I've just commented on Claire's comment and was about to respond to Sarah's. Like Sarah, this is something that I need to get over.

I do think teachers can be the worst students. My take on this is that they spend all day in their role as helpers, facilitators, instructors, guides, imparters of wisdom - whatever label you wish - and as such have a certain amount of 'control' over what is happening in their classroom; they may also be constantly evaluating their students on many different levels. When they become the students they may feel vulnerable to their teacher's evaluation of what they do or say and insecure in their perceived loss of 'control'. This vulnerability could manifest itself in many different ways, from anger and hostility to silence, or lack of cooperation or willingness to 'play the game'. I'm not saying this is definitely the case, or that it's the case for everyone, but I think it's an interesting possiblity to consider.