Monday 3 August 2009

Hi from Julie



Hi everyone,


Most of you know me, but for those of you who don't, I'm Julie and I teach on 3 of the 4 modules of the PGCTEAP.


I am not very technology minded (as you can probably tell) and the only photo I have is of me and a friend on the beach at Robin Hood's Bay (taken 2 weeks ago) - I'm the one on the right, if that helps.


I have taught EAP for a long time now, both here at Nottingham and previously at Durham University - and I think I finally understand what it is we are supposed to be doing! I am largely responsible for the Presessional and Insessional programmes here at CELE, and I am also very interested in teacher training in EAP - hence my involvement in this PGCTEAP.


I was a member of the working party that produced the BALEAP Competency Framework for Teachers of English for Academic Purposes - this was the first attempt anyone had ever made at writing down exactly what it is that we EAP teachers actually do - a must read for anyone therefore on this course!


I am also a senior IELTS examiner and have responsibility for the Speaking Exam - mainly in terms of the production of standardisation materials for examiner training and examiner recertification and any changes to the assessment criteria.


My PhD was in lecture discourse (a good read for insomniacs) - but I am also very interested in metaphor and EAP, academic speaking, academic vocabulary and assessment.


That's about it really. As for spare time (what spare time??), I like watching odd foreign films, eating lentils, doing yoga and getting Alex to buy me cups of coffee

1 comment:

Alex said...

Thanks for that Julie. I have to work very hard at CELE just to afford the coffees ...