Friday 9 October 2009

Hi All
I've been away from the blog for a while and have come back to a flurry of assignment ideas and activity...aaagh! There's obviously a lot of idea sharing going on and for those of us out on a limb I think the live online discussion sounds great- would it work given the numbers?
In terms of my ideas for the assignment, they are still quite vague and time is closing in. Ideally I'd like to do something practical and originally, like Phil, I was thinking along the lines of using the college VLE (Moodle) to create some sort of a pathway to help students navigate through online EAP resources and direct their self study. My problem is that, given that we don't have any form of VSAC (or indeed currently any EAP Moodle presence) at HAUC, it seems a huge task and not one that fits within the parameters and timescale of the assignment. It is, however, one of my aims for the year workwise (and one of the reasons I enroled on the course in the first place); hence my reluctance to let go of it in terms of this assignment.
The other area that I'm becoming interested in is using concept-mapping tools with students. One of the lecturers a HAUC is very interested in them and we've been working together at using them with both undergraduate and postgraduate students in the process of developing research questions. I had also wondered if this might be a possible method for students to analyse their needs/organise their self study? Could a concept map be used as an interface leading students to the appropriate online resources?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you use web-based concept mapping tools with students you work with and, if so, how?

No comments: