Monday 5 October 2009

Distance Learning

Some of the lit. suggests that students on Dist. Learning courses are more concerned with assessment and the need to gain qualifications, research suggests they rarely do it for pleasure? Whereas many students may choose campus-based courses precisely for this reason. Personally, I would choose a distance course due to geographical uncertainty, but not for any other reason. I like to learn through talking and often get frustrated having to be 'stuck' in front of a screen. This interests me - (as it seems the very term 'distance' conveys a certain autonomy or at least freedom from physical or geographical constraint) not knowing where I might be based or because it allows you to study abroad etc. As Klaus suggested it's convenient and often the only option for those who need to upgrade to get on. Certainly in the intinerant nature of tefl - an online Masters seems the only option if you need to continue working. I would say that it's also possible to feel 'distant' from yourself whilst studying online. Indeed the term seems very apt.
I'd like to know your thoughts on studying as a distance learner? If we consider the human interaction that many believe is essential to learning - and that many seem to crave in this context - then would you be content to explore various software or technologies that have been designed to try to 'engage' learners or in some way enable such interaction? I don't feel I would, except in the case of distance learning.

No comments: