Saturday 19 September 2009

Academic Literacy Discussion

Hi again,
(and for the last time today!) I have been in contact with a colleague at the OU - Mirjam - who is interested in tutors reflections on academic literacy - specifically in relation to academic literacy and technology. I thought that it would be really interesting as part of this module if I invited her and possibly a couple of her colleagues to join us on the blog for a week to have a discussion on this topic. Obviously, I will have given you a couple of readings beforehand, and this topic is part of our module anyway. It would give you the opportunity to discuss with colleagues working in a different context, it could be quite lively and informative, and hopefully we'd all get some new thoughts and perspectives on EAP.

What Mirjam and I would like is to be able to extract some of your comments to i) provide extracts for an OU online course on EAP and ii) provide some data for possible research. You too could also use online comments for your assignments and if you'd like to present or publish. For this week of discussion you could also invite colleagues to join for this period of the module. Of course, for research ethics purposes I would clarify everything and you would be asked permission etc. All comments would be anonymised and your identity would be protected and you could refuse specific comments being used. I think it would be a good thing for everyone ... maybe I could invite colleagues at CELE to participate. I was thinking of doing this in about three weeks time.

Any thoughts on this? Objections? ....
Let me know!
Alex

No comments: