Thursday 30 July 2009

Introductions and first task for you


















Hi,
I work with most of you (Sam, Klaus, Claire, Anne and Julia). I've met Siobhan too. The only person I haven't met is Sarah. You have noticed that Sandra (Kanj) is a contributor too. I have asked her to join the blog and chip in now and again as she works at CELE and is an ex-PGCTEAP student (proof of life after the PGCTEAP).

If we're to work together online I think it's useful if we get to know each other a bit. Even if most of us work for Nottingham University I don't really feel I know you very well at all and you probably have little idea about me.

So.... I'm going to ask you to do something. I want you to send a post to the blog telling the other participants a little bit about you and I'd like you to do this by Monday (Siobhan and Julia won't be able to do this just yet ... holidays and other tasks to deal with first).
I'll start the ball rolling...

I've been Head of New Technologies in EAP at CELE for eight years now. I spend my time developing online courses, teacher training, teaching research writing (online and f2f) and teaching Analytical Thought. I have been a course director on the presessional programme, taught just about every module and component CELE offers, and will be teaching on the new BA programme CELE has launched.

I am in the process of writing up my PhD. I am writing on barriers to teacher autonomy and professional development, particularly the impact of new technologies on professional identity, collaboration, epistemology and ideology. I'm engaged in trying to find frameworks, theories and practices that enable us (teachers) to use technologies to enhance the quality of our professional development and create a work culture where we can develop both collaboratively and autonomously. This is a substantial challenge - and I hope that my work will have an impact at CELE (one day!). I publish and present at conferences too. I'd like you to read this article I wrote as I hope it'll give you an idea of how I see teacher development.

Prior to CELE, I worked for many years in various universities in France.

What passes for free time is spent on an allotment. What about you?















1 comment:

Anne Kavanagh said...

Hi Alex,

I've just read your article. VERY interesting! I could relate to a lot of the 'qualifications, constraints, challenges and disappointments' you mention on p68. It took me hours to read it! It raised all sorts of questions and thoughts to ponder over the next few months at least.